TCR announces auditions for the May 2023 production of The Spongebob Musical, book by Kyle Jarrow, musical production conceived by Tina Landau, original songs by Yolanda Adams, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, Lady A, Cyndi Lauper, John Legend, Panic! At the Disco, Plain White T’s, They Might Be Giants, T.I. and songs by David Bowie, Tom Kenny, and Andy Paley.
The Spongebob Musical will be performed live at Theatre Cedar Rapids, May 5th-May 28th, 2023. Performances take place Thu – Sat at 7:30 p.m. and Sun 2:30 p.m. There will be student matinee performances on two of the following dates May 10th, May 17th, or May 24th. SEE ALL DATES HERE
Rehearsals will start the week of March 20, 2023. Rehearsals will typically be held four weeknights 6:30-10:00 and one weekend daytime rehearsal each week. Not all cast will be called to all rehearsals.
Directed by Lisa Kelly, music director Cameron Sullenberger, choreographed by Megan Helmers, scenic design by S. Benjamin Farrar, projections and lighting by Scott Olinger, costumes by Jess Helberg, with additional specialists in intimacy direction, fight direction, and dramaturgy.
Contact Courtny Rocarek (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about auditions. If you cannot attend auditions on these dates we will accept a video audition. Email for more information.
- Audition Dates/Time: Wednesday November 30th and Thursday December 1st. Callbacks and dance call will be held during the day on Saturday December 3rd.
- Fill out an AUDITION FORM HERE (REQUIRED)
- Sign up for an AUDITION SLOT HERE (REQUIRED)
- On audition day:
- Arrive at the TCR lobby at least 10 minutes before your scheduled audition time and you will be directed to the audition space.
- Prepare a side or sides from the show (need not be memorized). Adults only; youths interested in the youth ensemble do not need to prepare a side: SIDES HERE
- Prepare part of a song: Prepare 16-32 bars of any upbeat contemporary musical theatre song. There are many genres of songs represented in the show, sing something that showcases you and your talent. You may sing a song from the show. If you will only accept a specific role, it is recommended you choose a relevant song from the show. If you do not know what to sing, here are two options:
- Bring sheet music or accompaniment: Bring marked sheet music for our accompanist to play, or bring a track on your phone to connect to our bluetooth speaker. No acapella auditions please.
- After you have finished your slot you will be done for the evening.
- Casting timeline We will let you know if you should attend callbacks by 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 2nd. Callbacks and a dance call will be held in the morning/early afternoon of Saturday, December 3rd. All auditioners will be notified about casting by Friday December 9th.
ABOUT THE SHOW
The stakes are higher than ever in this dynamic stage musical, as SpongeBob and all of Bikini Bottom face the total annihilation of their undersea world. Chaos erupts. Lives hang in the balance. And just when all hope seems lost, a most unexpected hero rises up and takes center stage. The power of optimism really can save the world!
The creative team seeks a diverse company of actors. Actors of all ethnicities will be equally considered for all roles and actors of color are encouraged to audition. All roles are open. Ages listed are “stage ages” so older/younger performers will be considered.
Eugene Krabs (Range: B2-Bb4) – male-identified, 30s to early 50s – Owner of the Krusty Krab restaurant; loves money and maybe his daughter Pearl.
Patrick Star (Range: Bb2-Bb4) – probably male-identified, 20s to 40s – Spongebob’s BFF! Slightly befuddled and lazy, but Patrick has a heart of gold and is a good friend.
Sandy Cheeks (Range: A3-E5) female-identified – 20s to 30s – A Texas-born squirrel who loves science! Slight country twang; Sandy has a big heart and wants to save her town, even when people are not nice to her.
Sheldon J. Plankton (Range: B2-G#4) probably male-identified – 20s to 40s – Owner of the Chum Bucket and the archenemy of Mr. Krabs; Sheldon is a tiny evil genius who has a plan to take over Bikini Bottom.
SpongeBob SquarePants (Range: C3-B4) male-identified – 20s to 30s – Our hero! Spongebob is more than a simple sponge, he is an eternal optimist who loves his town, his job, and his friends. He wants to succeed in life and inspires people around him if he can just get them to listen.
Squidward Q. Tentacles (Range: A2-F#4) probably male-identified – 20s – 50s – Squidward wants to be a performer more than anything, but is stuck working with Spongebob and Patrick at the Krusty Krab. Squidward loves organization and peacefulness. Must be able to tap dance.
Karen the Computer – (Range: G#3-F#5) probably female-identified – 20s- 40s – Karen is Plankton’s computer wife in human form. She puts up with Plankton and helps him in his evil schemes.
Patchy the Pirate – (Range: D3-F4 (F5 falsetto) male-idenfied – adult – Patchy is a huge fan of Spongebob and will do anything to be in this show. He crashes the performance more than once and sings a memorable song.
Pearl Krabs – (Range:Bb3-F#5) – female-identified – late teens- 20s – Pearl is Mr. Krab’s whale daughter. He wants her to take over the family business but all she wants to do is follow and possibly sing with her favorite boy band. She has dreams and ambitions and wants to blaze her own trail through life.
Perch Perkins – (Range: E2-E4) – any gender – adult – the town reporter. Tries to keep it together as events in town get more and more desperate.
The Mayor of Bikini Bottom – (Range: F#4-B5) – probably female-identified – adult – The Mayor needs to keep the townspeople calm and organized. It’s okay because the mayor has a plan at all times…maybe.
The Foley Artist Fish is a staged role that produces all sound effects specified in the script and score using percussion instruments, triggered digital effects, and other creative sound makers.
Adult Ensemble (ages 16+), – all adult ensemble members will play multiple roles including hip hop dancers, mob fish, security guards, sardines, the Electric Skates, Larry the Lobster, Old Man Jenkins, back up dancers, townsfish and more. We are looking for strong dancers and singers. Tap dance and/or hip hop experience is helpful.
Youth Ensemble – (ages 7-15) – youth ensemble members will be pirates, sea anemones, Starfish devotees, townsfish, and may be part of other ensembles. We are looking for strong dancers and singers.
A Note About Youth Performers
TCR strives to create a safe and structured environment for young performers. We will engage the following measures to ensure the safety of children throughout the rehearsal and performance process:
- We will employ an Associate Youth Director to act as a safety and creative liaison between youth performers, their families, and the creative team
- All dressing areas will be monitored and separated by age
- We will be thoughtful about length of the rehearsal day for youth performers