Full-Time Associate Technical Director
Theatre Cedar Rapids (TCR) seeks a full-time associate technical director to assist and partner with TCR’s technical director (TD), resident artist, artistic director, and full production staff on TCR’s programming and presenting seasons. Reports to the technical director.
Applicants are asked to send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by November 1st. The role will begin as soon as possible as availability permits for selected candidate.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with and assist technical director as needed on all aspects of build process, including show budgeting, drafting, carpentry and build supervision, load in and out.
- Provide technical direction for our studio space and assume some TD responsibilities for the main stage show as appropriate and agreed upon.
- Coordinate with the technical director to maintain and improve theatre and scene shop spaces.
- Help supervise scene shop staff and advise on staffing needs.
- Attend production meetings as needed
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Experienced scenic carpenter with skills in carpentry, welding, and rigging.
- Proficient with AutoCAD.
- Experienced theatrical technical design with a knowledge of a variety of construction methods and materials to draw from.
- Experience in budgeting, labor estimates, and building calendars.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds and skill sets.
- On non-tech and performance weeks, hours will fall roughly Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with flexibility.
- During tech weeks, daytime hours will be adjusted/compensated to accommodate for evening and weekend show needs.
- A season production schedule may be found HERE
Pay and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Salary: $45,000
- Benefits include outstanding employer sponsored health, vision, and dental, as well as retirement eligibility and standard short-and long-term disability and life-insurance
Covid-19 Considerations for Potential TCR Staff
- TCR currently requires staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19
- Masks are required in public spaces and when gathering with others in the facility. This includes during all performances
- Lobbies and the lounge will be open before performances and during intermissions, but not for post-performance gatherings at this time
About Theatre Cedar Rapids
Theatre Cedar Rapids (TCR) is one of the largest professionally-run volunteer theatre organizations in the U.S. We are committed to creating the magic of live theatre and championing the arts in our community. For nearly 90 seasons, TCR has been a driving creative force in vibrant Eastern Iowa and the regional cultural landscape.
Each year, TCR welcomes over 50,000 patrons to a nine-show season of musicals and plays with additional presented work, from national celebrity performers to comedy, burlesque, and much more. We also offer a robust theatre education program for both kids and adults. Theatre Cedar Rapids is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit arts organization.
To captivate and inspire through the theatrical and performing arts.
To be a cultural point of pride, connection, inclusion, and learning,
invigorating growth in our community.
Theatre Cedar Rapids is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability. We reserve the right to conduct background checks and drug screening.