- This event has passed.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame Auditions
January 13, 2019 @ 7:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 7:00 pm, repeating until January 14, 2019
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME AUDITIONS – JANUARY 13-14 AT 7:00 P.M.
You must be 16 years of age or older to audition for this show.
Volunteer actors of any gender, race, ethnicity, age, language, disability/ability, sexual orientation, and gender-identification are encourage to audition. Should you need accommodations for your audition, such as an interpreter or wheelchair assistance, please email email@example.com. For all other questions related to the audition, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME CREATIVE TEAM
- Director: Angie Toomsen
- Music Director: Janelle Lauer
- Choreographer: Erin Helm
- Lighting Design: Benjamin Stuben Farrar
- Costume Design: Joni Dee Sackett
Please arrive to the TCR lobby no earlier than 6:30 p.m. to check in and to fill out an audition form. Be prepared to state all potential rehearsal conflicts. Auditions will begin with a group dance audition followed by individual singing and small group acting auditions. You need only attend one night of auditions, then callbacks if requested. Auditions won’t necessarily go until 10:00 p.m. if things move quickly.
- Sunday, January 13 – 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 14 – 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Potential Callbacks: Tuesday, January 15 – 7:00 p.m.
Callbacks for specific roles will be announced the morning of January 15 on the TCR website and Facebook page.
WHAT TO PREPARE
- MOVEMENT: Come dressed to learn a movement combination. Those interested in choir only may sit out the dance audition. WANT A HEAD START ON THE DANCE AUDITION? Erin teaches the combo in this video! Don’t worry – she will still teach it at the audition!
- SINGING: Please prepare (memorized) a chorus and a verse (60-90 seconds) from The Hunchback of Notre Dame or a song in the style of the show. Choose a piece to be performed a cappella (without accompaniment) that you enjoy singing, showcasing your range and vocal strengths.
- SPEAKING/ACTING: Please prepare 1-2 sides (See below!). You may be asked to read several times and from any sides. Those interested in choir only need not read and can leave after singing portion of the audition. Full scripts are available for check-out at the TCR box office.
- VIDEO AUDITIONS: If you cannot attend Sunday or Monday, please feel free to submit a video audition by Monday, January 14 at 5:00 p.m. The video should show the song you choose and one acting side. With your video, please send your rehearsal conflicts and more information will be requested from you. Send all to email@example.com.
Ages listed represent “story age,” not the required age of the actor. Do not rule out a role if you are older or younger than what is listed.
- The Choir (8-10 men/8-10 women) – Looking for very strong voices with choral experience for the onstage choir. This group will have a much smaller rehearsal commitment and may be able to refer to music during performance. Minimal movement and acting. Will sing from choir lofts built into the set.
- The Congregation (8-10 men/8-10 women) – Gypsies, gargoyles, soldiers, citizens of Paris, and will play several of the roles below (with some cross-gender casting). Lots of singing and dancing, select featured dancing. Numerous solo lines of dialogue, music, and narration.
- Claude Frollo – Archdeacon of Notre Dame Cathedral and the most powerful cleric in Paris, he is the reluctant caretaker of Quasimodo. Male-identified. Appears age: 40 to 50. Vocal range top: Bb4. Vocal range bottom: E2.
- Jehan Frollo – Claude’s reckless younger brother. With the gypsy Florida, he fathers Quasimodo, who he leaves in his brother’s care. Male-identified. Appears age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: Eb5. Vocal range bottom: F3.
- Florika – A gypsy and Quasimodo’s mother. Female-identified. Appears age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: F#5. Vocal range bottom: E4.
- Father Dupin – A priest of Notre Dame and Claude and Jehan’s guardian. Male-identified. Appears age: 40 to 60. Vocal range top: A3. Vocal range bottom: C3.
- Quasimodo – The disfigured bell-ringer of Notre Dame Cathedral and Claude Frollo’s charge. When cast, this actor will work with the Hunchback team and outside consultants to embody Quasi’s physical and vocal characteristics with clarity and sensitivity. Please do not attempt a speaking vocal affectation. Male-identified. Appears age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: Bb5. Vocal range bottom: Bb2.
- Clopin Trouillefou – Can be male or female-identified. The clever and charismatic King or Queen of the Gypsies. Appears age: 30 to 40. Vocal range top: F#5. Vocal range bottom: D3.
- Captain Phoebus de Martin – Captain of the Cathedral Guard. Overconfident yet charming, openly defies the corrupted Frollo. Male-identified. Appears age: 25 to 40. Vocal range top: Ab4. Vocal range bottom: A2.
- Lieutenant Frederic Charlus – Lieutenant of the Cathedral Guard and loyal friend to Phoebus. Male-identified. Appears age: 20 to 30.
- Esmeralda – A beautiful and free-spirited gypsy. Compassionate, she frees Quasimodo from the frenzied mob at the Feast of Fools. Female-identified. Appears age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: D5. Vocal range bottom: E3.
- King Louis XI – King of France, nicknamed the Prudent. Male-identified. Appears age: 40 to 50.
- Tribunal – A judicial officer. Male-identified. Appears age: 20 to 50. Vocal range top: E4. Vocal range bottom: G2.
- Madam – Owner of a brothel and safe haven for gypsies. Female-identified. Appears age: 35 to 50.
- Saint Aphrodisius – A stained-glass image that comes to life. Male-identified. Appears age: 30 to 50. Vocal range top: E4. Vocal range bottom: B3.
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME KEY DATES
- First Read/Orientation: Sunday, March 3, 7:00 p.m.
- Rehearsals: Music sessions begin March 4 and tend to be weeknights 6:30-10:00 p.m. though some sessions might be scheduled on weekends or days (pending actor availability). Follies cast is eligible for casting in Hunchback.
- Tech Rehearsal: Saturday, April 27
- Fri. May 3, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. May 4, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sun. May 5, 2019 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Fri. May 10, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. May 11, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sun. May 12, 2019 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Wed. May 15, 2019 @ 8:30 a.m. School matinee
- Thurs. May 16, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Fri. May 17, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. May 18, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sun. May 19, 2019 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Thurs. May 23, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Fri. May 24, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. May 25, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sun. May 26, 2019 @ 2:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Thurs. May 30, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Fri. May 31, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Sat. June 1, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Sun. June 2, 2019 @ 2:30 p.m. Potential added performance
- Strike: 5/26 or 6/2 Strike (if last weekend added)