- This event has passed.
Mamma Mia! Auditions
February 16, 2020 @ 7:00 pm
MAMMA MIA! AUDITIONS – FEBRUARY 16, 17 AT 7:00 P.M.
Volunteer actors of any gender, race, ethnicity, age, language, disability/ability, sexual orientation and gender-identification are encouraged to audition. Should you need accommodations for your audition, such as an interpreter or wheelchair assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other questions related to the audition, contact email@example.com.
Casting Policies Note
TCR is a professionally-run community theatre. Actors volunteer their time and are not paid to perform or to hold their time. There are no paid or equity acting opportunities. TCR does not precast except in very specific circumstances, and announces any precasting ahead of auditions. No roles in Mamma Mia have been precast.
For all other questions or clarifications related to casting policies or to this audition, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAMMA MIA! CREATIVE TEAM
- Director: Chris Okiishi
- Music Director: Janelle Lauer
- Choreographer: Anna Slife
- Scenic & Lighting Designer: Scott Olinger
- Costume Design: Jenny Nutting Kelchen
- Stage Manager: Rachel Potthoff
Please arrive to the TCR lobby no earlier than 30 minutes before auditions (6:30 p.m.) to check in and to fill out an audition form. Be prepared to state all potential rehearsal conflicts. You need only attend one night of auditions, then callbacks if requested. Auditions will begin with a group dance call then private singing auditions in the order of your audition numbers. You will be able to leave after the dance call and your song.
- Sunday, February 16 – 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 17 – 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Potential Callacks: Tuesday, February 18 (Time: TBD)
WHAT TO PREPARE
- GROUP AUDITION: Come dressed to move and bring dance shoes if you have them. You will learn a dance combination at the audition and then perform it in small groups.
- INDIVIDUAL (IN AUDITION NUMBER ORDER): Prepare an ABBA song or similar pop song (16-32 bars – ABBA is preferred!) that shows your range and personality. While we are asking for a pop song, please perform it as a musical theater song: have a dramatic point of view and speak from your character’s heart and experience. Have sheet music for the accompanist or have a track on your phone, ready to play. CDs don’t always play as expected so we ask that you do not bring them. No acapella please. *Need help finding tracks or sheet music? See tips below.
- Your singing and dancing audition is absolutely part of your acting audition, but you may also be asked to do cold readings from the script. (Scripts available in the box office for check out, first come first served). You will definitely be asked to read if called back.
- Though your chances are always better if you can attend in person, if you cannot attend Sunday or Monday, please feel free to submit a video audition by Monday, February 17 at 5:00 p.m. The video should show the song you choose. With your video, please send your rehearsal conflicts as well as dance experience or (even better) a dance sample on the video. Send all materials to email@example.com.
All ages listed are stage ages – we are looking for actors who read as these ages onstage, you may be older or younger in real life.
- Sophie Sheridan – Born and raised on the island. Female, Age 20 to 25. Vocal range: F#3-E5
- Donna Sheridan – Sophie’s mother. Female, Age 40 to 50. Vocal range: E3-A5
- Sam Carmichael – Might be Sophie’s father. Male, Age 40 to 50. Vocal range: D3-Ab4
- Bill Austin – Might be Sophie’s father. Male, Age 40 to 50. Vocal range: Bb2-F#4
- Harry Bright – Might be Sophie’s father. Male, Age 40 to 50. Vocal range: C#3-F#4
- Sky – Sophie’s fiance. Male, Age 20 to 30. Vocal range: E3-E5
- Rosie – Former Dynamo. Female, Age 40 to 50. Vocal range: E3-D5
- Tanya – Former Dynamo. Female, Age 40 to 50. Vocal range: E3-E5
- Lisa – Sophie’s friend. Female, Age 20 to 25. Vocal range: G3-Db5
- Ali – Sophie’s friend. Female, Age 20 to 25. Vocal range: G3-D5
- Pepper – Barman at Taverna. Male, Age 20 to 25. Vocal range: A4-F5
- Eddie – Helps Sky with Water-Sports. Male, Age 20 to 25.
- Ensemble – Consists of the Islanders, who work at Donna’s, Wedding guests, etc.
MAMMA MIA! KEY DATES
- First Read/Orientation: TBD
- Promo/Video Shoot: TBD
- Rehearsals: Tend to be weeknights (Monday-Thursday) 6:30-10:00 and some potential weekend days. Regular rehearsals will start on toward the end of April.
- 6/6 – Saturday – costume parade/all day spacing rehearsal – REQUIRED
- 6/14 – Tech Rehearsal 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (NOTE: This is a SUNDAY. Saturday will be OFF.) – REQUIRED
- 6/15 – 6/17 Dress Rehearsal – 6:00 p.m. Call
- 6/18 – Preview (Final Dress Rehearsal)
- 6/19 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 6/20 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 6/21 – 1:30 Call/2:30 Show
- 6/25 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 6/26 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 6/27 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 6/28 – 1:30 Call/2:30 Show
- 7/2 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/3 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/4 – 1:30 Call/2:30 Show
- 7/5 – 1:30 Call/2:30 Show
- 7/9 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/10 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/11 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/12 – 1:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/16 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/17 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/18 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show
- 7/19 – 1:30 Call/2:30 Show Possible strike to follow
- 7/23 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show Possible Added Date
- 7/24 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show Possible Added Date
- 7/25 – 6:30 Call/7:30 Show Possible Added Date
- 7/26 – 1:30 Call/7:30 Show Possible Added Date, Strike to follow
NEED HELP FINDING MUSIC?
ACCOMPANIMENT TRACK TIPS
- Bring your track on your phone.Make sure you know what time in the music you want to start singing so you can start your track just before you want to sing in the music. If you cannot use your phone or don’t have a phone, we may be able to pull it up for you on our devices, but no guarantees.
- Places to find tracks:
- YouTube – You may find free tracks on YouTube for many songs. Since we will have the ability to play from your phone, you can play a YouTube karaoke video to sing with for your audition. On YouTube there are often great tracks for free that you can use.
- Spotify – You can search for and play karaoke tracks from your phone.
- iTunes – iTunes has lots of karaoke tracks. Search for your song title and the word “karaoke” and if they have a track, it will come up. You will have to purchase the track, but typically they are only about $1-$2.
- Amazon Music – Amazon digital music sells a lot of karaoke tracks too. Just search for your song and the word “karaoke” on Amazon and if they have a track, it will come up. Amazon may also bring up an entire karaoke album, but you should be able to just buy one track. Amazon tracks are also typically $1-$2.
SHEET MUSIC TIPS
- Make sure that you bring in sheet music that is in the same key that you’ve been practicing in.
- Please make sure that all the music is visible. The accompanist needs the bottom of the music as well as the top (where the melody line is). Also, please make sure that the copy you bring is clear and not blurry.
- A photocopy or printed sheets are preferable to a bound book, as it can be hard for the accompanist to keep the book open. It is also preferable to put your sheets into a binder, so the accompanist can easily turn the pages.
- Places to purchase sheet music:
- musicnotes.com – though there are lots of places to buy sheet music online, music notes tends to have the best selection and features. When you purchase sheet music from music notes, you can choose what key you want the music in, so you can print it at the place you like to sing it, and each purchase includes access to the digital version of the music you bought that will play on the music notes player, that allows you to practice with the music you are bringing into the audition!
- If you can’t find what you are looking for at music notes, here are a few others to try: Sheet Music Plus, Sheet Music Direct, Sheet Music Now.