- This event has passed.
Heathers The Musical Auditions
May 6, 2018 @ 7:00 pm
HEATHERS THE MUSICAL AUDITIONS, MAY 6 & 7
Theatre Cedar Rapids will hold auditions for the musical based on the cult classic, Heathers the Musical. TCR is looking forward to presenting this exciting show, just off (off) Broadway. Directed by Emma Drtina, music direction by Benjamin Schmidt, choreography by Anna Slife.
Auditionees should attend one of the dates below.
- Sunday, May 6 at 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 7 at 7:00 p.m.
- CALLBACKS Tuesday, May 8 at 7:00 p.m.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Arrive at TCR up to half an hour prior to audition time to complete an audition form and check in. Be prepared to state all potential rehearsal conflicts. Please prepare 16 to 32 bars of a contemporary musical theatre piece to be performed a cappella. Come dressed to move – you will be taught a dance combination at the beginning of the audition. Sides will be provided for cold readings.
Auditions will take approximately 2-3 hours. Callbacks for specific roles will be announced the morning of May 8 on the TCR website and will take place that evening.
Should you need accommodations for your audition, such as an interpreter, please let us know by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions, contact email@example.com.
ABOUT HEATHERS THE MUSICAL
Book, music, and lyrics by Laurence O’Keefe (Legally Blonde) and Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives)
Based on the classic 1989 film, Westerberg High is ruled by a shoulder-padded, scrunchie-wearing squad: Heather, Heather, and Heather, the hottest and cruelest girls in all of Ohio. Misfit Veronica Sawyer rejects their evil regime for a new boyfriend, the dark and see stranger, J.D., who plans to put the Heathers in their place: six feet under.
All casting 18+. All ethnicities welcome. Open to gender-neutral casting for many roles.
- Veronica Sawyer (Age: 18-30) Burns to be both cool and kind, but doesn’t yet know how to be both at the same time. Fierce sense of right and wrong, keen sense of ironic humor. Thinks she’s an old soul, but she’s still innocent enough to be blindsided by love or shocked by cruelty. (Voice: High belting required, up to Ab. Must have dynamic and stylistic range.)
- Jason “J.D.” Dean (Age: 18-30) Darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive. Charming on the outside, damaged on the inside. Keen smarts, savage wit. (Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.)
- Heather Chandler (Age: 18-30) The richest, hottest, cruelest girl in town. Relishes power and wields it without fear, patience, or mercy. (Voice: Strong belt to F or higher preferred. Mezzo for chorus.)
- Heather McNamara (Age: 18-30) Beautiful, innocent, stupid. Can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. (Voice: Strong belt to Db, D preferred. Soprano for chorus.)
- Heather Duke (Age: 18-30) The whipped beta dog of the three Heathers. Deeply insecure. When she finally becomes Queen Bee, she wields power like a bulldozer. (Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus.)
- Martha Dunnstock (Age: 18-30) Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck,” the opposite of confident and popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. (Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.)
- Ram Sweeney (Age: 18-30) Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. (Voice: Strong baritone, belt to G, some falsetto useful.)
- Kurt Kelly (Age: 18-30) Quarterback and captain. Chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky. He’s the brains in the friendship with Ram. (Voice: tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some falsetto.)
- Ram’s Dad/Big Bud Dean/Coach Ripper (Age: 40s) All to be played by same actor. (Voice: baritone/tenor – power Country/Gospel belt to Ab, higher welcome.)
- Ram’s Dad – Former football player turned suburban dad, has never outgrown his high school glory days. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes.
- Big Bud Dean – J.D.’s single dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber.
- Coach Ripper – Stalwart, man’s man; quick to defend his players.
- Mrs. Fleming/Veronica’s Mom (Age: 40s) All to be played by same actor. (Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.)
- Mrs. Fleming – Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Resentful of today’s entitled youth, protective of the underdogs. Despite a penchant for self-promotion, genuinely cares about the students in her charge.
- Veronica’s Mom – Easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law.
- Kurt’s Dad/Veronica’s Dad/Principal Gowan (Age: 30 to 45) All to be played by same actor. (Voice: Strong baritone/tenor – power Country/Gospel belt to G, even higher better.)
- Kurt’s Dad – Straight-laced, very conservative, also former football player. A simple guy, not book smart, you’d be happy to share a beer with him.
- Veronica’s Dad – Easygoing and distant.
- Principal Gowan – Rumpled, burned out, hates conflict.
- Ensemble (Age: 18-30) Male and female roles available.
HEATHERS THE MUSICAL KEY DATES
- 5/9 Orientation and first read-through 6:00 p.m.
- 5/9 Rehearsals begin (typically M-F, 7:00-10:00 p.m., with some Saturday dance rehearsals)
- 6/23 Tech Rehearsal 11:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
- Fri. June 29, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. June 30, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Thurs. July 5, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential Add
- Fri. July 6, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. July 7, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sun. July 8, 2018 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Thurs. July 12, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Fri. July 13, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sat. July 14, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sun. July 15, 2018 @ 2:30 p.m.
- Thurs. July 19, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential Add
- Fri. July 20, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential Add
- Sat. July 21, 2018 @ 7:30 p.m. Potential Add
- 7/15 Strike or 7/22 Strike (if last weekend added)