- This event has passed.
2019 Underground New Play Festival
August 8, 2019 @ 7:30 pm| $13 – $40
OUT THERE: SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, FANTASY AND HUMANITY
TCR’s annual Underground New Play Festival will be held August 8 – 18, 2019. This year’s submissions reflect the theme “Out There: Science, Technology, Fantasy and Humanity” and will feature festival headliner, Rob Merritt’s Aurora, a follow-up to The Summerland Project.
NEW to this year’s Festival – we are offering a Festival Pass option to make it easier to see all thirteen Festival shows and immerse yourself in new works! The festival also includes panel discussions and a costume/cosplay competition (see details below!)
Please note that Set Three and the Sunday, August 18 2:30 p.m. performance of Aurora will be ASL interpreted.
2019 FESTIVAL SELECTIONS
- Again, I’m You by Dylan Cooley, Directed by Sarah Hinzman
- Black Box, An Adoption Story by Zhen E. Rammelsberg, Directed by Sarah Hinzman
- Classic Cage by Francis Bass, Directed by David Scanlon
- Duncan by William “Billo” O’Loughlin, Directed by Lydia Jennissen
- Genesis Project by Erica Jo Lloyd, Directed by Grant Freeman
- The Gerrig Problem by Mike Miersen, Directed by Jenna Woodwick
- Hello, Friend by David Scanlon, Directed by Marie Riechers
- One by Grant Freeman, Directed by Chelsea White
- Seasons Don’t Fear the Reaper by Brian Tanner, Directed by Jeremy Eble
- The EULA by Brian Tanner, Directed by Ryan Grauberger
- The Revolution Will Not Be Instagrammed by Duane Larson, Directed by Rachel Potthoff
- The Battle of Ulunaduhaunal by Mike Miersen, Directed by David Scanlon
- We Can Be Heroes by Zachary Johnson, Directed by Bonnie Ruble
2019 FESTIVAL SCHEDULE
In celebration of our sci-fi/tech/fantasy theme we will hold a Costume/Cosplay competition on Saturday 8/10 at 7:30 p.m. in TCR’s Auditorium.
Sign Me Up!
If you wish to be involved, report to the TCR lobby by 6:30 p.m. to register and we will take you backstage for photos and get ready to walk the stage for your entry. Each participant will receive a professionally-taken high resolution photo of your entry.
Who Will Judge and What are the Prizes?
Z102.9 radio personalities Alex Schulte and Jackson Bartelme with serve as emcees and judges for the event, which is open to the public. Awards are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place overall, best youth entry (under 16). You will receive a special awards such as a framed/engraved award frame and some additional TCR perks.
What is Our Definition of Cosplay?
The practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, TV, book, comic book, or video game. We are very open about the subject matter and are not limiting this to sci-fi or fantasy. Have fun! As long as your costume is respectful, it is welcome! We also invite you to wear your costumes throughout Sci-fi Day (8/10) of the festival if you attend, though no festival ticket required to compete in this event. FREE TO PARTICIPATE.
- Contestants under the age of 18 need a parent or legal guardian present at the cosplay competition to sign a waiver in order for that contestant compete in the cosplay contest.
- All costumes must cover “swimsuit areas” – no nudity. No body-paint costumes.
- The contest is open to characters from published works; movies, TV shows, comic books, cartoons, video games and card games.
- Family-friendly language and gestures only.
- Please do not throw anything off the stage or use anything that will leave a mess, like liquids, glitter and confetti. If you have a question about something you want to do, feel free to send an email to email@example.com with questions.
- No pyrotechnics, fire, explosive devices, live animals or similar special effects can be used during the competition; this includes smoke/smog machines and flash powder.
- Weapons must be props grade and clearly fantastical. Absolutely no contemporary handgun or automatic weapon replicas.